Sunday, May 15, 2011

Observations

Do you ever feel like kids parties are popularity contests, or are too overwhelming because you don't want to leave someone out? I have met some kids who at 8 have a busier social calendar then my whole family! With my crazy life I often ask myself what is important, what do I really need and why am I doing this? I am so grateful for the opportunities I had growing up to take dance lessons and to play softball (one season, I didn't like it), take piano lessons, and my favorite sewing lessons (thanks to Yvonne for being such a fun teacher!) I think that if a child shows interest and talent we should encourage them but for their benefit not ours.
On children's birthday parties- I once heard that a child can invite as many friends as they are old. So a 5 year old has 5 friends and a 10 year old has 10. I think that is wise advice and since I heard it I have tried to follow it. My question then becomes what about gifts? My children really don't need any more toys yet they love to open presents (really who doesn't) So how do we solve this predicament? I am open to suggestions.

My life lately seems to be filled with good days and not so good days. I have discovered that I do not have a house of democracy. Yes my children have choices but some things that is just the way it is. Example- with Ryan working most nights it is hard for me to be motivated to cook dinner, cereal is easier. So for awhile I would ask the girls what they wanted, big mistake. Now I tell them and then they get to choose whether they eat it or not. That is pretty much what I have done with work too. I use to feel bad about taking them to the childcare at the rec center. But now that is just what they have to do so I can get my workout in and so I can work.

No comments: